My Books available from Amazon

Friday, August 5, 2011

My Day Job

My Day Job

I think I have put it out there in an earlier post that during the day, I’m a nurse. I have to say, it is a pretty awesome job.  I feel very fortunate that I was able to get the job that I currently have. As far as nursing as a profession is concerned, my job is a pretty ‘cush’ job. I work Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, no nights, no weekends. I don’t have to worry that my coverage will call in and I will have to work a double shift, or that I will be called in to work on a weekend or a holiday. I have worked in places where that happens, so I can honestly say my current job is great. I know that I am very lucky to be where I am, so I always give 110% of myself when I am there. To the providers I work with, my co-workers and especially the patients I get to see.
But every once in a while a situation comes up that I sit at my desk for a moment and realize how lucky I really am to be where I am at in life. I had that happen today.

One of the Doctors I work for called to let me know that there was a “match” for something that was going to be needed for one of his patient’s for an upcoming surgery. That meant there was a donor. When there is a donor, that means someone died to be able to donate what is needed. 

I thought about that “donor” all day long. This person died, and made the decision to be an organ donor. Which is really great and all, but I’m still hung up on the fact of how a donation happens. I worried about their family, and how they were coping with their own personal loss. But while they lost someone dear to them, that person’s decision to be an organ donor will give another person a chance at life. What an amazing gift to be able to give.

What a wonderful selfless act this person, and thousands more do on a daily basis. None of them said what’s in it for me? They acted selflessly to help others. It makes me get really happy/sad to think about. Also, it kind of makes my helping others look pretty small, but being able to see the difference in people’s lives is an amazing gift in itself. Organ donors have helped others live, see, walk, and have a chance at living again. (Gives me Goosebumps!)

I just wanted to say thank you to anyone out there that has made the decision to be an organ donor, and if you know someone who has died, and they were an organ and tissue donor, I bow down to their presence at the incredibly kind, and selfless act that they have done. You change people’s lives, and give the gift of life.
Sorry this wasn’t a post on writing, but I just wanted to share an experience with you, Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment